- Du borde göra precis som jag säger. You should do exactly as I say.
Lesson 58 | The 20 Most Common Swedish Verbs, part one
Hello beautiful reader. Today I would like to share with you the 20 most common Swedish verbs. Mastering these verbs will help you become a better Swedish speaker. Let’s get the ball rolling!
Here comes the list of the top 20 most used Swedish verbs (part one):
1. Att vara — to be
- present tense: jag är — I am
- past tense: jag var — I was
- present perfect: jag har varit — I have been
- Jag är en kvinna. — I am a woman.
2. Att få — to get, may
- present tense: du får— you get
- past tense: du fick— you got
- present perfect: du har fått — you have got
- Du får inte ett äpple. — You do not get an apple
- Du får gå nu. — You may leave now.
3. Att ha — to have
- present tense: han har— he has
- past tense: han hade — he had
- present perfect: han har haft — he has had
- Har han en flickvän? — Does he have a girlfriend?
4. ska — shall, will
- present tense: hon ska — she will
- past tense: hon skulle/borde— she should
- Hon ska göra sin läxa. — She will make her homework.
- Hon ska få barn. — She is going to have a baby.
5. kan — can
- present tense: vi kan — we can
- past tense: vi kunde — we could
- Vi kan inte stanna tills imorgon. — We cannot stay until tomorrow.
6. vill — want
- present tense: ni vill — you want
- past tense: ni ville — you wanted
- past perfect: ni hade velat — you had wanted
- Vill ni inte komma imorgon? — Don’t you want to come tomorrow?
7. att komma — to come
- present tense: de kommer — they come
- past tense: de kom — they came
- past perfect: de har inte kommit — they have not come
- Tågen kommer aldrig i tid. — The trains never arrive on time.
8. att finnas — to be, to exist
- present tense: det finns — there is
- past tense: det fanns — there was
- past perfect: det har funnits — there has been
- Materialet finns på din dator. — The material is in you computer.
9. att bli— to become, to get
- present tense: den blir — it becomes
- past tense: den blev — it became
- past perfect: den har blivit — it has become
- Mjölken har blivit gammal. — The milk has become old.
- Jag blir galen när jag hör detta. — I get crazy when I hear this.
10. att säga— to say, tell
- present tense: jag säger— I say
- past tense: jag sade — I said
- past perfect: jag har sagt — I have said
Thank you for taking your time reading the article and I am looking forward to see your comments in the section below. Don’t forget to study with pleasure and joy.
Did you like the lesson?
Get MySwedish's e-book for free today
Book an online lesson with a native speaker
- Lesson 60 | Most common abbreviations in Swedish part 2 June 14, 2019
- Lesson 59 | The 20 Most Common Swedish Verbs, part two February 27, 2019
- Lesson 58 | The 20 Most Common Swedish Verbs, part one February 22, 2019
- 7 Things that change when moving to a new country February 3, 2019
- Lesson 57 | Nog, väl eller ju December 26, 2018